smartdept.inc is in search of a copywriter for their client in Chicago. The ideal candidate will be ready to do great storytelling on behalf of mission-based organizations in the nonprofit sector—from major research universities to museums to advocacy organizations. This is a full-time, direct-hire opportunity.
The copywriter needs to be adept at conceptual thinking, problem solving, and writing across all platforms. Ideally, you can produce both a funny, on-brand Instagram Story and a thoughtful, incisive introduction to an annual report. You should be able to get inside the head of both a skeptical 17-year-old college prospect and a 60+ business leader capable of making a multi-million dollar gift to a good cause.
Day to day, you’ll work in cross functional teams and handle multiple projects. We expect you to be curious about our clients and their challenges (beyond what they tell you) and to be an avid consumer of information (without being asked). You’ll have direct contact with clients and should be an effective salesperson of your ideas and of our agency’s expertise.
Experience writing compelling long-form content, especially for major fundraising campaigns, is a plus.
what you'll do:
- Seek out insights about our clients and their audiences.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and presentations that produce innovative, original ideas and content
- Write and edit copy across multiple channels and in a wide range of lengths, including web, social, print, radio, video.
- Collaborate with team members to develop clear, integrated content
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and independently while adhering to established priorities and deadlines
- Build and maintain positive client relationships through participation in on-site visits and conference calls, creative presentation development, and selling in ideas.
- Support the project teams by participating in the pitch process
- Stay current on emerging marketing trends
- Occasional overnight travel required
what you'll need:
- Bachelor’s degree, in English, Communications, Journalism, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of content writing experience, in an agency environment preferred
- Experience in producing copy for digital and print
- Strong social and digital knowledge with an understanding of audience behaviors across platforms
- Excellent short-form and long-form writing skills in a variety of voices and tones that can adapt to a variety of formats
- Solid grammar, editing and proofreading capabilities
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational abilities, detail-oriented, and an open mind to feedback
- Ability to think strategically and conceptualize creatively
- Strong presentation and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Self-motivated and flexible team player
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume to email@example.com.