The smartdept. inc. is in search of a Senior Design Researcher to do a 2 year project for a global retailer in their downtown Chicago office. If you are energetic and passionate about shaping the evolving landscape of digital solutions to support both internal team members and customers alike, this position may be for you!
The role of the Senior Design Researcher is critical in interpreting and translating the behaviors, attitudes, and needs of a range of end-users into actionable insights, opportunities, and recommendations to prioritize requirements, improve workflow and engagement, and enhance experiences within and across employee- and customer-facing solutions. This individual needs to be a user and research advocate throughout the user-experience lifecycle, supporting an omni-channel business and influencing employee and customer interactions across mobile, and in-store experiences. In this role you will work hand-in-hand with partners in Product Management, UX Design, Service Design, Market Research, Analytics/Customer Intelligence, Strategy, Business, and Engineering to help create and test solutions that drive value for the business and end users.
This role demands an individual who is:
- Dedicated, empathic, and entrepreneurial
- Adept at solving for both near- and long-term experience needs and identifying resulting
- Excited about and highly experienced in creating and leveraging a wide range of research
methods to support the varied research needs and help inform design and experience throughout the project lifecycle
- A natural "people-person", skilled at forging strong working relationships across disciplines and translating the needs, perspectives, priorities, and constraints of all partners into compelling research plans and actionable outcomes
- In close partnership with UX Designers, Service Designers, and Product teams, the Senior Design Researcher will identify opportunities to uncover and prioritize users; needs and values, evaluate experiences at varying stages of development, and be responsible for research implementation and output.
The core goals and objectives of the Senior Design Researcher role are to:
- Demonstrate an excellence in qualitative research
- Manage generative and evaluative user and design research including facilitating team alignment, research planning, execution, analysis, and delivery of results.
- Translate needs, behaviors, attitudes, and research findings into clear insights, actionable recommendations, strategic opportunities, and guiding principles.
- Work closely with UX and Service Design teams to define testing needs and articulate insights and opportunities.
- Proactively synthesize and share insights across research efforts to drive alignment and facilitate empathy for the end-user experience, across teams.
- Identify gaps in knowledge and surface new and strategic opportunities for continued research, evaluation, and understanding.
- Build collaborative partnerships and be a trusted advisor to the Product, Business, and Development teams and stakeholders
- Partner with UX and Service Designers to ensure solutions fall within the intersection of business goals, user needs, and technological constraints.
- Drive engagement in research activities with key business partners and promote adoption of a broad set of research methods.
- Maintain project engagement – and continue to represent the end-user – throughout development to ensure a customer-centric experience.
- Work closely with UX and Service Design team to evangelize User-Centered Design best practices and educate new partners around employing a design thinking process.
Attributes and Qualifications
To be successful in this role, the Senior Researcher should:
- Be well-versed in the digital (adaptive web, app, and kiosk) space; experience with store-based research and/or employee experiences a definite plus!
- Have 3+ years of experience in a similar role and / or user-centric design environment.
- Have demonstrated expertise in scoping, planning, designing, executing, and analyzing
qualitative user research.
- Demonstrate excellent oral, written, and visual communication skills.
- Be adept at building relationships with internal / external partners and working collaboratively within and across disciplines.
- Have experience working closely with design teams and in an agile process.
- Have experience planning and facilitating collaborative, structured, and goal-oriented work
sessions or workshops with cross-functional teams to progress initiatives and achieve alignment.
- Have strong critical thinking, analysis, and creative problem-solving skills, with an ability to be flexible and adaptable based on changing project needs and scope.
*2 year, full-time freelance opportunity.
**smartdept. inc offers health benefits and 401k contribution after 90 days
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.